As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is the primary provider of fire, rescue and emergency management programs and services throughout Queensland. The department encompasses the Fire and Rescue Service, disaster management services, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, and also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of role
The Public Information and Warnings unit provides strategic and operational response oversight of the public information capability to ensure operational planning and readiness at the state, regional and local levels. The team works in conjunction with other teams across the department and external stakeholders, responsible for elements of public information to ensure Queensland communities receive timely, accurate and relevant information during incidents and disasters, to ensure the safety of the community and effective incident management.
Reporting to the Executive Manager, you will contribute to the planning and capability development of the public information function and support the delivery of timely and quality incident-based information, including warnings, on behalf of QFES. The focus of this role is issuing community warnings and critical public information, contributing to the continuous improvement of the public information function and systems, and conducting quality assurance checks and delivering public information and warnings training to enhance community safety and operational capabilities.
Highly desirable requirements
* Minimum C Class Driver's Licence (non-restricted).
* Experience and/or qualifications in communication or public relations roles.
* Participate in a 24 hour, 7 days a week roster as required.
* Deployment at short notice in response to QFES operations during major incidents, emergencies and disasters if required.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in supporting key frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
* Contribute to the ongoing development of the public information and warnings function, including participating in strategic planning, quality assurance reviews and continuous improvement initiatives.
* Create and issue bushfire warnings and other critical public information during a range of incidents, emergencies and disasters, and provide guidance to personnel responsible for public information.
* Contribute to the development and improvement of policy and procedures, systems and processes, and communication strategies in the delivery of public information.
* Prepare and review briefings, reports and submissions relating to public information during a range of incidents, emergencies and disasters in accordance with departmental requirements.
* Provide advice to senior QFES personnel to help ensure effective communication and public information strategies.
* Research, analyse and develop appropriate responses to contentious issues.
* Build and maintain effective working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders including operational personnel to support community engagement and public information functions.
* Develop and implement statewide capability enhancement plans, and deliver public information and warnings training to ensure a consistent approach to providing information and service delivery.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the "key accountabilities" for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream - Individual Contributor (leading self)
* Leads strategically
* Stimulates ideas and innovation
* Leads change in complex environments
* Makes insightful decisions
* Develops and mobilises talent
* Builds enduring relationships
* Inspires others
* Drives accountability and outcomes
* Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
* Pursues continuous growth
* Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
* Trust<space>This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License.
|Salary Type||Normal Wages|