Time Type: Full time
Worker Type: Employee
- Location: Adelaide
- Type: Permanent, full time
Your part in a changing world
At QBE, our purpose is to enable a more resilient future.
We’re an international insurer and reinsurer with a local presence in 27 countries.
Leveraging our deep expertise and insights, QBE offers commercial, personal and specialty products and risk management solutions to help people and businesses manage risks, build strength and embrace change to their advantage. We’ve been cultivating resilience since 1886, when our founders started a marine insurance company in Townsville, Australia to give early pioneers a safeguard against uncertainty. Today, we employ more than 11,600 people around the world, and our product portfolio includes property, motor, crop, energy, marine and aviation insurance.
We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Underwriter to join the Elders General Liability and Financial Lines Insurance team in Adelaide. Your key role will be to achieve sustainable profit and growth for Elders through the provision of specialist advice, direction and technical support, and the delivery of excellent levels of customer service to all Elders Insurance Agents. You’ll also underwrite business in accordance with business plans within set underwriting guidelines, service standards and individual earned underwriting authority.
We are looking for a commercially astute individual who are passionate, customer focused and able to develop strong business relationships both internally and with our Agency network. You will also bring your initiative, resilience and thrive in to a fast-paced changing environment.
How will I help?
A day in the role will look a bit like this
- Underwrite new business and renewals providing quotes and risk advice in a timely and professional manner
- Participate in meetings, as required, to support the development of strategy, share knowledge and best practice
- Monitor and review underwriting standards procedures and checklists
- Ensure all documentation is accurate and complies with organizational guidelines and legislative requirements
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with all customers, intermediaries and internal stakeholders
- Evaluate risk for new business in accordance with standards, to ensure profitable growth
- Build strong knowledge of current legislation, best practice, underwriting acceptance levels, systems and organisational guidelines
What do I need?
To be successful in this role you will ideally have 2-3 years experience as an Underwriter. You will also have the following skills and attributes;
- Commercial background will be an advantage
- Flexibility to work across a changing portfolio
- Relationship development, including visitations, with our Agents
- Experience of developing a growing portfolio
- Problem solving and process improvement experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong attention to detail
We are here to support you
We offer a range of benefits to help provide holistic support for your work life, whatever your circumstances. As a QBE employee you will have access to and benefit from:
- ‘Hybrid Working’ – a mix of working from home and in the office to enhance your work/life balance
- Our ‘Thriving at our Best’ wellbeing program, including free holistic wellbeing coaching, nutritional, confidential counselling, financial and legal advice
- 12 weeks’ gender-equal flexible leave for all new parents, including paid super
- The ability to maximise retirement savings through voluntary super contributions and company matching
- Income protection insurance & reimbursed Death and Total Permanent Disability insurance premiums
- Additional leave and support through QBE’s Family Domestic Violence First Responder Network
- Discounts on insurance products, car hire, hotels, goods and services including benefits through our various sports and arts sponsorship partners
We value our employee’s experience with us and are proud to have been recognised for the following awards:
- 2021 LinkedIn Top Employer & HRD Employer of Choice
- 2020 Best Workplace Diversity & Inclusion and Excellence Award for Best Health & Wellbeing at the Australian HR Awards
- Gold Employer status for 4 years in a row 2019 - 2022 Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) – the definitive national benchmark on LGBTQI+ workplace inclusion
- Ranked 6th place in the AAGE Top Graduate Employers 2021 as voted by graduates
- Top 20 Workplaces for Dads in 2019 and 2020 (HBF Direct Advice for Dads)
- Family First accredited employer since 2021
Click APPLY to submit your application. Successful applicants will need to complete work rights, police and credit checks through our online provider as a condition of employment.
QBE takes a risk and compliance approach to COVID-19 vaccination and strongly encourages our employees to be vaccinated. Some roles require COVID-19 vaccination to perform the role. When relevant we will ask you to share your vaccination status as part of the application process. We won’t be able to progress with applications where candidates choose not to disclose their status for roles that require vaccination in line with our risk and compliance approach.
QBE recognise the value of diverse perspectives and experience. We are committed to an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected for who they are. If we can provide support with access requirements, alternative work arrangements or you would like to connect with one of our networks please contact us at
Application Close Date: 13/08/2022 11:59 PM
How to Apply:
To submit your application, click "Apply" and follow the step by step process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
QBE is an equal opportunity employer and is required to comply with equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction it operates.