The AER’s Strategic Communication and Engagement Branch is responsible for building community and stakeholder understanding of the agency’s purpose, strengthening its reputation as an effective regulator, and supporting its role as an informed contributor and insightful thought-leader in the energy policy debate.
The branch advises the AER Chair and Board on media and communications, stakeholder engagement and issues management. It provides executive office support to the Chair, as well as high quality services to AER business units in relation to project specific media management, stakeholder engagement and corporate communications in line with the agency’s strategic statement and corporate goals.
Role and Duties
This position reports to the Director, Stakeholder Engagement and will play a key leadership role in the Stakeholder Engagement team to support the AER Chair, Board and CEO’s external relationships and engagements.
The team provides a key central coordination advisory role for the agency, to delivering strategic and operational advice to agency leaders. The Assistant Director will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills enabling them to work effectively and collaboratively across the AER. They will also have a strong working knowledge of Australia’s system of government and parliamentary processes, and be able to quickly develop an understanding of the energy sector and the work of the AER.
The Assistant Director Stakeholder Engagement will help manage an effective team responsible for the following duties:
- Government and stakeholder relations to support the AER to achieve its strategic objectives and deliver on government and community expectations.
- Provide strategic advice to the AER Board, Senior Leadership Team and other senior managers and staff in relation to key stakeholders through the coordination of briefings to support their engagement.
- Support the AER’s proactive engagement with a broad range of external stakeholders including government, industry and consumer groups through timely briefings on AER decisions/publications.
- Support the AER Board, SLT and other senior managers in their engagement with Australian energy sector businesses by the Board and Senior Managers, as well as industry and consumer representative bodies.
- Provide agency wide coordination, to support the AER’s external facing obligations and engagements including membership of the Energy Security Board and reporting and accountability obligations including participation in parliamentary processes.
- Support engagement within the AER, including the implementation of the AER’s Strategic Plan engagement priorities, providing strategic support and best practice advice for AER engagement with industry and energy sector advocacy groups.
- Coordinate stakeholder views on agency performance through the AER’s Stakeholder Survey and other informal channels including advice on the resolution of any issues raised.
- Provide a central point of contact for all external requests for information or to engage with the AER from stakeholders including government and industry.
- Lead projects (internal) to ensure continuous improvement of both the Branch and AER.
- Contribute to and assist with co-ordination of responses to inbound executive correspondence.
- Support timely internal reporting on engagement to the AER Board and SLT.
- Manage 1-2 direct reports within the Branch to support the deliverables/objectives of the Branch.
How to apply
When applying you will be required to upload your resume and respond to the following two behavioural questions, with a maximum response of 400 words per question.
1. Tell us about a time when you led proactive engagement on a complex matter. What approach did you develop, why and what was the outcome?
2. Tell us about a time when you had to establish stakeholder relationships (internal and/or external) quickly in a technical environment. What approach did you take and what was the outcome?
Salary: $109,070 - $120,707 per annum (plus 15.4% superannuation)
Contact Officer: Jesse Price, 0403 497 877
This role is available on a full time, part time or job share basis.